Ghent City Center
Ghent is Belgium’s best-kept secret, a cosmopolitan university city of imposing churches, top-quality museums and some of the most beautiful medieval architecture in Europe. Add to this a vigorous cultural scene, packed late-night bars, restaurants and clubs, plus stylish hotels and this is a city not to be missed.
The city’s pedestrianized heart surrounds triangular Korenmarkt, which was the medieval market place, with most of the major sights – the ornate Stadhuis, St Bavo’s Cathedral, St Nicholas’ Church and the Belfry – within easy walking distance. Just northwest of Korenmarkt, the River Leie is canalized and bordered with the medieval quays of Graslei and Korenlei; it curls through Ghent on its way to join the River Schelde and a network of canals leading to the port. Close by, the austere Gravensteen Castle lies on a split in the Leie, and beyond that is Patershol, an enclave of narrow streets crammed with 17th-century artisanal cottages. Now delightfully revamped, the district is currently scene of Ghent’s hottest nightlife. Ghent’s other focal square is Vrijdagmarkt, which is huge, tree lined and surrounded by ancient guild houses – now mostly shops and restaurants – where markets spring up most weekends. In the south of the city, Citadelpark is the location of two excellent art galleries.
Tours and tickets to Experience Ghent City Center
Should I book Ghent City Center tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Ghent City Center 2021?
What's the best way to experience Ghent City Center?
- Private Highlights Tour, with a local guide!
- Private "Off The Beaten Path Tour", with a local guide!
- Private Photo Session with a Local Photographer in Ghent
- Touristic highlights of Ghent on a Half Day (4 Hours) Private Tour with a local
Things to do near Ghent
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaandam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in South Holland